Book Review: Dear Daughter by Elizabeth Little

July 24, 2017
Title: Dear Daughter
Author: Elizabeth Little
Publisher: Viking
Release Date: July 31, 2014
Length: 364 pages
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Source: Purchased
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐
Find it Here: Amazon // Goodreads

LA IT girl Janie Jenkins has it all. The looks, the brains, the connections. The criminal record.

Ten years ago, in a trial that transfixed America, Janie was convicted of murdering her mother. Now she's been released on a technicality she's determined to unravel the mystery of her mother's last words, words that send her to a tiny town in the very back of beyond. But with the whole of America's media on her tail, convinced she's literally got away with murder, she has to do everything she can to throw her pursuers off the scent.

She knows she really didn't like her mother. Could she have killed her?
My Review:

Dear Daughter by Elizabeth Little was the book club pick for June and I was really excited to start reading it. Like I've said before in my reviews, I usually always try to finish the book club book. Dear Daughter is a mystery/thriller type novel set part of the time in Los Angeles and most of the time in the mid-west while the main character tries to figure out who really killed her mother.

Janie Jenkins is probably one of the most unlikable characters I've ever read. Her inner dialogue was so irritating because she was always complaining about something or someone throughout the whole novel. To top it off and make me dislike her even more, she literally thinks she's the shit.

  1. She thinks she's God's gift to men and society
  2. She thinks she has the world figured out
  3. She thinks she's smarter than everyone
  4. She's vain and completely shallow
  5. Her biggest concern was looking "hot"

 I can't stand characters like that.

The only thing that made Dear Daughter readable was the story line and the mystery that Janie was trying to uncover. I'm always drawn to a premise when it's about a small town and their dark secrets which is exactly what this is. And the only reason I'm giving this book three stars is because I didn't really guess who the killer was until it was obvious. If you're into unlikable characters then this book is for you!

2 comments

  1. That character does sound awful. I really hate vain characters so much. It always kinda ruins the story for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the same page as you! Her inner dialogue was so consistent that I almost put the book down.

      Delete