Book Review: 56 Days by Catherine Ryan Howard

January 26, 2023


Title: 56 Days
Author: Catherine Ryan Howard
Publisher: Blackstone Publishing
Release Date: August 17, 2021
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Length: 305 pages
Source: Purchased from Book of the Month
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐
Find it Here: Amazon // Goodreads

No one knew they'd moved in together. Now one of them is dead. Could this be the perfect murder?

56 DAYS AGO
Ciara and Oliver meet in a supermarket queue in Dublin the same week Covid-19 reaches Irish shores.

35 DAYS AGO
When lockdown threatens to keep them apart, Oliver suggests that Ciara move in with him. She sees a unique opportunity for a new relationship to flourish without the pressure of scrutiny of family and friends. He sees it as an opportunity to hide who - and what - he really is.

TODAY
Detectives arrive at Oliver's apartment to discover a decomposing body inside.

Will they be able to determine what really happened, or has lockdown provided someone with the opportunity to commit the perfect crime?

My Review: 

56 Days by Catherine Ryan Howard was the perfect book for me to get back into reading. The story was interesting enough that it kept me reading easily and the story line was so easy to follow that I didn't find myself getting confused. 

Before I started reading 56 Days, I wondered how I would react to a book that takes place during the start pandemic, since we are still in the pandemic. But I actually didn't mind reading about it and I was actually quite entertained when I was reminded of all the toilet paper that people bought. I also really enjoyed seeing the start of the pandemic from an international point of view, since this book takes place in Ireland.

Without revealing any spoilers, the mystery was pretty good and I did not expect it to end the way that it did. The story has a lot of build up for about 75% of the book and then it really picks up speed and everything is revealed within the last 15% of the book. So it was definitely an information overload at the end.  

Overall, 56 Days by Catherine Ryan Howard is a solid thriller/mystery novel and I will definitely read another Catherine Ryan Howard book soon!

No comments