Let's Discuss: Negative Reviews

July 18, 2017

As a blogger, I have found that writing or giving negative reviews can be a hot-button topic. Everyone loves to write glowing reviews and fan-girl over the books we love. And when it comes to the YA a community, a lot of books and/or series have very dedicated followers. But what if you didn't love that book? What if, actually, you though it was really boring or just plain bad? What do you do?



I have no problem writing a negative review. I'm always very honest on my blog and I will never pretend to love a book that I don't. If a book interests me enough to finish it, I will most likely post a review, whether positive or negative. I like to read other blogger's negative posts as well because I really want to know what I'm getting myself into before picking up a book.

Goodreads is a great example of where you can find great reviews and negative reviews of the same book. I like to see both sides of it. I want to know why people love the book and why some people didn't connect with it. And I will always let you know if I didn't connect with a book.

As a blogger, do you post negative review? Do you like to read negative reviews? Let me know in the comments!

6 comments

  1. I post negative reviews - sometimes only on Goodreads but often enough on my blog. I want to be honest, too. I actually like reading negative reviews, especially for a book I'm not particularly enjoying, because it kind of validates my feelings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like reading negative reviews for that reason as well! I like to know when someone else has the same feelings that I do about a book.

      Delete
  2. At first when I started blogging I was afraid to post negative reviews, but over time I got to where I did. I tried to mean or nasty about it but if I don't like the book, I don't like it and I want to explain a little bit of why I didn't. And I have seen some books that other people loved and raved about and I didn't like at all so there's that. I say post them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely say post them as well because it's important for us, as bloggers, to be honest.

      Delete
  3. I post negative reviews. I don’t post many of them because I’m pretty good at finding books I’ll like, but I’m not afraid of saying I didn’t like a book. People are usually nice and respectful about it.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I was better at finding books that I love but I'm such a mood reader. One day I'll not be into a book but then a few months later, I pick it up and it turns out to be a 5 star read. At least we're both not afraid to express our true feelings about a book!

      Delete