Audio Book Review: It Happened One Summer by Tessa Bailey

February 6, 2023

Title: It Happened One Summer
Author: Tessa Bailey
Publisher: Harper Audio
Release Date: July 13, 2021
Series: Bellinger Sisters #1
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Length: 10 Hours and 48 minutes
Source: Library
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Find it Here: Amazon // Goodreads

Piper Bellinger is fashionable, influential, and her reputation as a wild child means the paparazzi are constantly on her heels. When too much champagne and an out-of-control rooftop party lands Piper in the slammer, her stepfather decides enough is enough. So he cuts her off, and sends Piper and her sister to learn some responsibility running their late father's dive bar... in Washington.

Piper hasn't even been in Westport for five minutes when she meets big, bearded sea captain Brendan, who thinks she won't last a week outside of Beverly Hills. So what if Piper can't do math, and the idea of sleeping in a shabby apartment with bunk beds gives her hives. How bad could it really be? She's determined to show her stepfather--and the hot, grumpy local--that she's more than a pretty face.

Except it's a small town and everywhere she turns, she bumps into Brendan. The fun-loving socialite and the gruff fisherman are polar opposites, but there's an undeniable attraction simmering between them. Piper doesn't want any distractions, especially feelings for a man who sails off into the sunset for weeks at a time. Yet as she reconnects with her past and begins to feel at home in Westport, Piper starts to wonder if the cold, glamorous life she knew is what she truly wants. LA is calling her name, but Brendan--and this town full of memories--may have already caught her heart.

My Review: 

I have been chomping at the bit to write my review of It Happened One Summer by Tessa Baily. I listened to this book on audio and I loved it so much! I literally could not wait until I could listen to it again! It has almost everything I love in a contemporary romance and I can't wait to get into it! 

Now, I don't usually read contemporary romance; it's not the genre that I generally gravitate towards. But I had been seeing it on BookTok pretty regularly with a lot of glowing reviews so I tucked it away in the back of my mind. When I was browsing through Hoopla's instant title, It Happened One Summer popped up and I bumped it up to the top of my audio book list. 

I pretty much loved It Happened One Summer from the moment I started listening. The main character, Piper, messes up pretty badly while in LA, so her step-father cuts her off and ships her off to her home town in Washington State. In this little tiny town she meets Brendan, a local, grumpy, good-looking fisherman who tries to stay away from her, but fate has other ideas. 

I would have assumed that a character like Piper would bother or annoy me, but I found her to be charming and kind. I really enjoyed the grumpy-sunshine trope. I think it may be the first I've ever read. As much as I loved the (which I really did), I found it to be a little unbelievable. Like a rich girl getting cut off and then falling in love with a man who is secretly wealthy. And the whole ending scene in LA just rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. Other than those few points, I really did love the book and I am really looking forward to diving into the next one and many more Tessa Bailey books! 

No comments