Books From the Backlog: #1

February 2, 2023

Books from the Backlog is a fun way to feature some of those neglected books sitting on your bookshelf unread. This weekly feature is hosted by Carole's Random Life.

This week's forgotten book is:

Title: Wildwood 
Author: Colin Meloy
Publisher: Balzer & Bray
Release Date: August 30, 2011
Genre: Middle Grade Fantasy
Series: Wildwood Chronicles #1
Length: 541 Pages
Source: Purchased

Wildwood captivates readers with the wonder and thrill of a secret world within the landscape of a modern city. It feels at once firmly steeped in the classics of children's literature and completely fresh. The story is told from multiple points of view, and the book features more than eighty illustrations, including six full-color plates, making this an absolutely gorgeous object.

In Wildwood, Prue and her friend Curtis uncover a secret world in the midst of violent upheaval—a world full of warring creatures, peaceable mystics, and powerful figures with the darkest intentions. And what begins as a rescue mission becomes something much greater as the two friends find themselves entwined in a struggle for the very freedom of this wilderness. A wilderness the locals call Wildwood.

I bought this (the whole series actually) because it sounds so cute and the illustrations are so beautiful. I figured it could be a really quick read and one that I would really enjoy because I love a good fantasy. But then life got the better of me and it has been sitting on my shelves for at least six or seven years. Maybe this year I will get to it! 

What book has gotten lost in your shelves? Have you read Wildwood? Would you recommend it?


3 comments

  1. Very cute cover! I've got so many books that I allowed to tempt me for the covers. :) Hope you're able to fit it in the reading queue soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a gorgeous cover. I'm with Sophia. I'd be hard pressed to walk by it on a shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds great! I read a middle grade novel just last week and enjoyed it so I would not hesitate to give this one a try. Thanks for joining in this week!

    ReplyDelete