Book Review: All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda

February 6, 2017
Title: All the Missing Girls
Author: Megan Miranda
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Release Date: June 28, 2016
Genre: Mystery, Thriller
Length: 368 pages
Source: Purchased
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐
Find it Here: Amazon // Goodreads

It’s been ten years since Nicolette Farrell left her rural hometown after her best friend, Corinne, disappeared from Cooley Ridge without a trace. Back again to tie up loose ends and care for her ailing father, Nic is soon plunged into a shocking drama that reawakens Corinne’s case and breaks open old wounds long since stitched.The decade-old investigation focused on Nic, her brother Daniel, boyfriend Tyler, and Corinne’s boyfriend Jackson. Since then, only Nic has left Cooley Ridge. Daniel and his wife, Laura, are expecting a baby; Jackson works at the town bar; and Tyler is dating Annaleise Carter, Nic’s younger neighbor and the group’s alibi the night Corinne disappeared. Then, within days of Nic’s return, Annaleise goes missing.
Told backwards—Day 15 to Day 1—from the time Annaleise goes missing, Nic works to unravel the truth about her younger neighbor’s disappearance, revealing shocking truths about her friends, her family, and what really happened to Corinne that night ten years ago.

Review:

I'm always up for a good mystery. I've read a few of Megan Miranda's YA novels in the past and I'm familiar with her writing style. I had been following the release of All the Missing Girls and considered buying it as soon as it came out but I was always putting it off. I eventually bought it and immediately added it to my TBR.

What I really enjoyed most about All the Missing Girls is the way that the story is told. Two girl have gone missing; one went missing ten years ago and was never found and one went missing two weeks ago. Both disappearances are eerily similar especially since they both happened in a small down where literally nothing ever happens. Now that two girls have gone missing, both under suspicious circumstances and both with the same set of suspects, the investigation really ramps up.

Nic, the main character, was best friends with the girl who went missing ten years and moved away from town right after. Now that she is back in town to help her brother fix up their childhood home, her ex-boyfriend's new girlfriend is the second girl to go missing. Nic believes that all the answers are right in front of her but she can't seem to put the pieces together.

What I can say I liked about All the Missing Girls is that I definitely did not guess the ending or the circumstances surrounding the disappearance of either girl. I also enjoyed the format of the story and that it was told from the future into the past over the course of two weeks. Other than that, I felt the bulk of the story was pretty slow and I continually found myself putting it down out of boredom.


BTW, I also love these info graphs that Bookout creates. I always use Bookout to track my reading because it puts together so many statistics. I highly recommend using this app!

No comments