Let's Discuss: Book Buying Habits

August 10, 2017


Welcome to my weekly discussion post called Let's Discuss! This week I'm talking about our book buying habits!

Ever since I became a blogger (which actually was a while ago because I used to run another blog) my book buying habits and shot through the roof. I used to be the type of person that would read a book and then I would go out and buy another book. Which is how I was for most of my life. My parents would take me to the bookstore when I wanted a book, which I would read and put on my shelf or let my friend borrow it.

Then I discovered the book blogging community around 2012 and my whole world changed. Before I took the deep dive into the dark side of buying books, I start requesting a ton of them from the library. I would come home stacks and stacks of book but then I had to return them. So then I started buying them and it was crazy.


Now that I'm married I'm more mindful of how many books I buy and how often I buy them. I definitely use the library a lot more again. The library allows me to discover books that I love, read them and then purchase them when I get the chance. I'm a Barnes & Noble member so I always buy a book when I get a coupon. And every once in a while I'll make a large Book Outlet order. I also always keep my eye on Book Riot's Deals of the Day and when something catches my eye, I purchase it for my Kindle.

There are times when I slip up and I know I get a little crazy with buying books. At those times, I cross my fingers and hope and pray real hard that my husband doesn't notice the charge on the credit card. But he knows how much I love books and that I will get to those books eventually.

What are some of your book buying habits? Did you book buying habits change when you became a blogger? Let me know in the comments!

4 comments

  1. We're pretty similar, I used to buy a lot of books but then a couple years ago I started using my library more. Today I'm definitely library first/buy if I loved it. I try not to spend too much on books myself; I more ask for them as gifts. But when my husband spends money on hobbies, I feel a bit justified to spend money, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way with my husband lol! If he spends extra money on a hobby then I don't feel bad about buying myself two or three new releases!

      Delete
  2. I try to be careful about how many books I’m acquiring. I’m not a fast reader, and it’s easy to go overboard. I do love Book Outlet, though. A few times a year, I place a giant order with them. That’s where a lot of my books come from.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes for Book Outlet! I feel like if I wait long enough I can find any book on Book Outlet!

      Delete