Book Review: The Light We Lost by Jill Santopolo

August 11, 2017
Title: The Light We Lost
Author: Jill Santopolo
Publisher: G.P. Putnam's Sons
Release Date: May 09, 2017
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Length: 328
Source: Purchased
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Find it Here: Amazon // Goodreads

He was the first person to inspire her, to move her, to truly understand her. Was he meant to be the last?

Lucy is faced with a life-altering choice. But before she can make her decision, she must start her story—their story—at the very beginning.

Lucy and Gabe meet as seniors at Columbia University on a day that changes both of their lives forever. Together, they decide they want their lives to mean something, to matter. When they meet again a year later, it seems fated—perhaps they’ll find life’s meaning in each other. But then Gabe becomes a photojournalist assigned to the Middle East and Lucy pursues a career in New York. What follows is a thirteen-year journey of dreams, desires, jealousies, betrayals, and, ultimately, of love. Was it fate that brought them together? Is it choice that has kept them away? Their journey takes Lucy and Gabe continents apart, but never out of each other’s hearts.
My Review:

I heard about The Light We Lost by Jill Santopolo from theSkimm. I only subscribe to their newsletters for their Friday post because they always have a book recommendation. In the beginning of the summer, The Light We Lost was one of their recommendations and after reading the synopsis, I went out and bought it. And I'm so glad I did! I loved this book so much and I'm so glad I own a copy!

The Light We Lost is, basically, a super long letter that the main character, Lucy, is writing to Gabe, her ex-boyfriend that she met in college. Since Gabe is away most of the time pursuing his dream as a photojournalist in the Middle East, Lucy has since gotten married and continued pursuing her own dream of creating educational TV shows for children.

What I love so much about The Light We Lost are the characters, especially the differences between Gabe and Darren (Lucy's husband). Santopolo has created these two very different men and, as a reader, I could feel the different ways they interacted with Lucy. Gabe is the typical artist, so full of passion and life that I could just feel it coming off the page and he had such a fire for Lucy, as well! Darren is kind of boring and is interested in more of a typical lifestyle: being the husband who brings how the bacon and Lucy being the stay at home mom. As much as he loves Lucy, he doesn't appreciate her artistic side nor does he believe her career is anything to be proud of because it's just a silly TV show. I can definitely understand why she felt like she was settling when she married Darren but Gabe, because he was based in the Middle East, was always unavailable.

As much as I don't like open-ended endings, I really loved it for The Light We Lost. It really leaves Lucy at a cliff-hanger and the reader gets to continue Lucy's story in their minds and end the story for themselves. If you're a fan of Taylor Jenkins Reid, they I would highly recommend The Light We Lost! Go pick it up now, because it is so good!!

1 comment

  1. Great review! I love TJR and this one is already on my TBR, I can't wait to read it! It's interesting how different the two men are - I'm intrigued to see myself how each fits into a different side of Lucy's personality.

    ReplyDelete