Let's Discuss: Books that Made me Cry

August 24, 2017

Hey readers! Welcome to Let's Discuss; a weekly post discussing book related topic. This week's topic is one of my favorites: books that made me cry.


I love books that make me cry. In my opinion, if a book is powerful or moving enough to make me cry then it leaves a long lasting impression on me; one that I am not quick to forget. There are many books that have made me shed a tear here and there but there are only a few that make me cry the ugly cry.

In no particular order, here are the most memorable books that made me cry:



The Summer I Turned Pretty trilogy by Jenny Han: I am a sucker for moms dying of cancer. It gets me every time! I don't really know why because my mom is alive and well but I always sob like a baby! It's probably because I'm so close to my mom and I know I will be devastated they day comes that I have to say goodbye.

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom: Tuesdays with Morrie is the only
Mitch Albom book that I've read and I literally cried through every page of it. I honestly can't remember anything that happened in this book but I remember it being touching and again: it's a person dying that the main character cares for and to me that is always moving. Maybe someday I'll pick up another one of this books.


The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger: The Time Traveler's Wife is one of my all time favorite books that I read way back when I was in college. The love story between Henry and Clare is so deep and pure and beautiful. When the end happened it literally tore me to pieces! This book definitely deserves a re-read soon.

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes: I believe I read Me Before You about three
years ago because someone in my book club picked it for the monthly read. I didn't cry when I read this book; I WEPT. I sobbed and I hiccuped and I cried rivers. It was embarrassing. That letter at the end just shattered me.

The Probability of Miracles by Wendy Wunder: Here we go again with cancer. Except in The Probability of Miracles, the main character, a teenage girl has cancer and her mom is trying to do everything she can to find a cure for her. It's just so, so sad and it kind of reminds me of The Fault in Our Stars but to me it felt more authentic and heartfelt.






And just for fun, here are some books on my TBR that I'm pretty sure are going to be cry fests.



When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi: From what I've heard everyone that has read this book has cried!

The Summer of Chasing Mermaids by Sarah Ockler: I have not read an Ockler book that has not made me cry!

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara: I haven't read this yet for two reasons. The first is that it's gigantic and I own the hardcover. Number two is that I know if I get into it I'm really going to cry.

Do you have some memorable books that have made you cry? Let me know in the comments!

4 comments

  1. A book has never made me cry because I’m pretty sure I don’t have emotions, but I liked The Time Traveler’s Wife. It’s such a good story.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Books make me cry a lot! I'm kind of an emotional person anyway, but I love when a book can give me all the feels. Me Before You definitely made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't cry a whole lot with the book I read but the one book that made me sob really hard was Sever by Lauren DeStefano because a favorite character of mine died. :'(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had a few books that have made me tear up a bit, thankfully no ugly cries lol. The Summer I Turned Pretty and The probability of Miracles both look like books that would do the trick!

    Heard good things about the Time Traveler's Wife...

    ReplyDelete