Let's Discuss: Series or Stand-Alone Novels

August 31, 2017

Welcome to Let's Discuss, my weekly discussion post about bookish topics that I'm always thinking about.

This week I really wanted to talk about series vs. stand-alone novels and which ones you prefer to read. I always feel like I'm really torn between the two. One the one hand, I love a good novel that just wraps me up completely but also has a nice perfecting ending; on the other hand I love diving deep into good multi-book fantasy series! I think when I really start to waver towards one side is when every book I pick up turns into a series, especially in YA.

A few years ago, when I was really heavily into blogging (on a different blog) and reading pretty much only YA, I just became overwhelmed with how many series I had started and only got a few books into because everything was a series. I was in the middle of so many series but found myself forgetting about what had happened in the other books which is partly why I was so behind.


I could go a lot more into this, but I eventually just stopped reading YA for a little bit and only read adult fiction. I find with adult fiction that it's so much easier to pick up a really good book and that's it; there's not a series attached to it. I still do read series but now I really have to love the first book to continue with the series. If I'm mostly likely going to forget what happened in the first book, then I'm going to pass on the series, but at least I gave it a try. So I have to say that I definitely prefer stand-alone novels but I'm not opposed to getting into a good series!

What about you? Do you prefer series or stand-alones? Let me know in the comments!


2 comments

  1. That is definitely one thing that bugs me about YA; there seems to be too many series. I like series, but it can be so hard to keep track of all of them and where I am in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like both, obviously but in the end I like series just a little bit more. Mostly because I'm never ready to say goodbye to certain characters.

    ReplyDelete