Let's Discuss: Seasonal Reading

August 1, 2017

Hey readers! Welcome to my weekly discussion post called Let's Discuss! This week I'm talking about seasonal reading and how the seasons of the year and the weather affect your reading habits.

It's right smack dab in the middle of summer and I love reading summer books! Especially YA contemporary books make me feel like summer is here. The lighthearted summer romances, the shenanigans, the road trips and the adventures are all really fun to read during the summer. And I don't really like summer all that much, especially now that I live in Vegas. Summer has me like:


I love fall and I really love Halloween reads. Halloween isn't my favorite holiday but it's definitely my favorite time to do some "theme reading." When the weather starts to get cooler, the days shorter and the nights longer, then my reading tends to get darker. I tend to gravitate more towards thrillers, serial killer books and horror novels. 

As the weather turns to winter, I really like to read dark fantasy novels. I'm already planning on caching up on the Throne of Glass series this winter as well as finishing the Farseer Trilogy. I don't know what it is about the cold weather that always makes me want to pick up a chunky fantasy novel! 

Springtime usually has me all mixed up. I read a mix bag of books: contemporary, fantasy, thrillers and horror. In all honesty, I just like to read all kinds of genres. Over the years, especially as a blogger, I've noticed how my reading habits have changed throughout the seasons. I think it's pretty cool to track it or to at least be aware of how they change so that I can plan my reading accordingly. 

Are you a seasonal reader as well? How does your reading change based on the seasons? Let me know in the comments! 

6 comments

  1. Reading scary books at Halloween is the best. Christmas books at Christmas are also pretty cool. Other than that, I’m not much of a seasonal reader. I do get envious when it’s 1000 degrees in my bedroom, and it’s snowing in the book. That’s not fair.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read a true Christmas book before. Any recommendations? The only time I like to read opposite weather books is when it's cold outside and I'm reading a summery book. They kind of warm me up!

      Delete
  2. I think sometimes I'm a seasonal reader. This summer, I've been trying to read more "beachy" novels or lighter reads. I tend to want to reread Harry Potter in the fall. For some reason, if a book has magic in it, I want to read it around Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Halloween is the best time to read books that have magic! I also love to read books about witches that time of year as well! I'm already planning on listening to It by Stephen King soon, partly because the movie is coming out, but I find Halloween is a great time to read a Stephen King novel!

      Delete
  3. This summer, I've had the reading blahs. I love romance, but because of my moods I've wanted to read more mystery. Weird for the summer huh? ~Aleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a seasonal reader as well. I just finished a stretch where all I wanted to read was books that either involved baseball (because I've only been to one game this year) or going to the beach (because it's been FOREVER!). I'm already thinking through the Urban/Paranormal Fantasy series I need to catch-up on this fall!

    ReplyDelete